skip to content

EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Future Infrastructure and Built Environment

  • I am not a UK/EU resident. Am I eligible to apply?

Students who are not a UK/EU residents are eligible to apply. You can apply regardless of nationality or residency.

  • Am I eligible for EPSRC funding?

Eligibility for EPSRC Funding is dependent on your residency status, please see below;

UK Nationals - UK applicants that have settled status in the UK and have studied or worked in the UK for the past 3 years are eligible for full fees and stipend.
EU Nationals - due to the EU referendum, please see this link
Non-EU applicants - Non-EU applicants that have settled status in the UK and have worked in the UK (this does not include full time education) for the past 3 years are eligible for full fees and stipend.

For further information on eligibility please see the EPSRC website.  

  •  Do you have other sources of funding?
The University of Cambridge has several sources available. Please check their website.
  •  My background is not in civil engineering. Can I still apply?
Candidates are likely to have a civil engineering background although students from cognate engineering or scientific fields will be considered too. A good foundation in engineering is important.
  • What are the minimum requirements for the FIBE-CDT  programme?
Students are expected to have a 2.1 or a 1st class honours degree from a UK University or an equivalent standard from an overseas university. 
  • How would I determine the equivalent grading standard for my university/country?
If you have not studied in the UK previously, please check here whether your qualifications are considered suitable for entry. 
  • My first language is not English, what do I need to do?
If English is not your first language, please refer to the University's Competence in English page for further information. 
Please note that the Department of Engineering does not allow students to be referred to the University Language Centre.
  • I have already completed an MRes degree, can I only attend/register for the PhD years?

This programme has an integrated MRes year, which students must complete. It is not possible for students to register for the PhD years only. Applicants wishing to begin study at the University of Cambridge with PhD should refer to the Department of Engineering pages for details of direct entry to PhD study.

  •  Does the programme accept self-funded (scholarships, other University and/or governmental funded) students?
Yes, the programme considers students who have funding from other sources.